Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Kestral Johnston - Orientation Weekend!!!!!!

So, I can't believe it, but it has been a month since I have arrived in Brasil. It amazes me how much I have already learned, and how much there is still to know!!! The language is getting easier, but it still is no cake walk. I'm trying to take tests in Portuguese during school, and I also have a tutor.

This past weekend I went to my inbound orientation for ExproBrasil. This encompasses not only District 4590 (which I'm in) but also the neighboring District 4430. All in all, I would estimate there were 50 exchange students from all over the world. Being around exchange students isn't like being around just friends. It is closer to being around family. We all have that special bond through our exchange, and no matter what our backgrounds are, we are all very close. Teenagers are teenagers throughout the world; we love to laugh, be crazy, loud, and silly.

Link to map of Rotary Districts in Brasil:
http://www.rotarybarril.org/images/mapa_brasil.jpg

The weekend was very similar to my outbound orientation last March. We got to hear all the rules and expectations and what to do in certain situations again. It's always good to have a refresher. All the exchange students of course wanted to trade pins and business cards. My blazer is now about 2 pounds heavier and there is a whole pocket dedicated to my friends in Mexico! The weekend was great, especially for my brain to have a break from the language, but I'm glad to be back in Atibaia.
The whole group! Including the Rotex and committee members.


Team USA! No one else from Colorado, but from plenty of other states!

Sunset from Vinhedo, the town where our orientation was held.

My blazer after the orientation!

My host sister leaves this Friday, so before she goes, I decided to make cupcakes! They have cupcakes here in Brasil, but they aren't very common. So far, I've only seen them in huge malls in cities of over one million people. There are far too many good pastries here from Brasil to be missing cupcakes.




Anyways, that sums up the end of my first month in Brasil. I can't wait to see what else is in store, and I can't wait to go deeper into the hearts of the people here. Beijos

No comments:

Post a Comment