Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Zane Elston - Hello From Thailand

As of now, I have been here for five and a half months, and it is all going far too quickly. I have been enjoying every part of life here, from the food to the natural features of southeast Asia to the massive cultural difference. Everything here is nearly completely opposite what i am used to in America, and that alone has made my time here extraordinary. This has allowed me to learn so much about myself and life in general; it has renewed my outlook on the world.

School here is, well, different. But its an easy transition, and I have made amazing friends in school that I believe I will keep for my entire life, as well as the other exchange student friends that will be scattered around the world next year. And as different all of us are, I seem to be able to connect to Thai kids just as I did my American friends.

I just finished spending an amazing week in Bangkok, and at the beach of Hua Hin. I absolutely love Bangkok and all of its great attractions. In Hua Hin I had the opportunity to go Kite Surfing and I had what I consider to be the best day of my entire life.

Being in a country that receives absolutely no snow is a huge difference, and I am ecstatic to go skiing next year :D

I am now back in Chiang Mai. My two month summer vacation from school is set to start in a little bit over a month, and I really hope to do much more traveling around the country at that point.

I spent new years in Myanmar with my host family, and the gigantic poverty really made me value my life that much more. The economic condition of Myanmar is beyond dismal, and it's pretty saddening to see living conditions like that.

I have also gone elephant riding a few time into the jungle, along with a few bamboo raft trips. The bamboo rafts are nothing more than 10 pieces of bamboo lashed together by leather, and that was an amazing experience. I also have had the chance to visit many buddhist temples. The temples here are nothing short of amazing, and there are soooo many.

And with that I'm not sure what else to say, if you have any questions feel free to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment