Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Alli Major - Nine days and counting..

I have great news from the land down under!

First of all, i just wanted to thank Rotary SO SOOO SOOOOO much! I couldn't ask for a better exchange, and yet it keeps getting better and better.


I'm not sure if you all know about it or not, but earlier this year, Queensland got hit with major flooding and a cyclone (which is what we call a hurricane, in America). The affect that had on Queensland was massive and heartbreaking. Due to there rainfall up north, though, it ended up heading down towards, Victoria, where I am. Now we had flooding in my town, Charlton, back in September which was minor to that of January.

The town was 2/3 underwater! Imagine walking through Lincoln Avenue hip high in water! That's what it was like here! It was the most affected town in Victoria due to floods. The community is so strong in Charlton though, everyone ended up putting on their gum boats and going to work. I, personally, was apart of the 1/3 that was not affected by the flood so it gave me a great opportunity to lend a hand where i could.

I thought i would share that to just give a little preview of how great my rotary club and district here is. Even through all this flooding and disaster, they are willing to sponsor me to go on the big Safari!!! This is a chance of a lifetime and i will see more of Australia than many of my friends, here, have even seen. I was under the impression that i was not going due to finances because it is quite costly, but through a series of events, they have told me that they are willing to sponsor me which is more than i can ask!


So basically, Rotary is the coolest thing ever and i am so so soooooo EXCITED!

This trip is 20 days long and i leave March 26th. I'll get back to Charlton on April 14. During these three weeks, i will travel all up though the outback seeing many sight. I'll see Uluru (one MASSIVE rock in the middle of nowhere), stay under ground in Coober Pedy, fly to Cairns, go along the Gold Coast and go to Sea World! This is just a few of the many things i'll do and see and i am so excited!
Uluru (Ayers Rock)
Nine days and counting...


On other news, we have moved into Autumn now and it's starting to cool down (like to the 60s, late 60s, which isn't cold in your terms). But i am getting so acclimitised here, im so scared to go back to coooolddd winters!


Thanks all for reading! And a HUGE thanks to Rotary. You guys have definitely made my trip worth while! :)

Alli Major

1 comment:

  1. Alli - Have an awesome safari! I'm so glad that you get to do it. I've heard that Ayers rock is amazing, especially if its not so windy and you can climb on it. The rest of the trip sounds amazing....

    ReplyDelete